On March 4, AHCA/NCAL held a Post-State of the Union call as a response to President Biden’s proposals for nursing homes. Here's the replay link, as well as our summary of what was discussed.
In general, don't panic!
- Major reforms often fail in Congress
- Rulemaking takes time
- Some of the proposals require Congressional action
- AHCA/NCAL is working on a response plan
Proposed for Nursing Homes
- Phase-out rooms with 3 or more beds
- Reduce inappropriate use of antipsychotics
- SNF Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) includes more staffing and resident experience measures
Readiness for Pandemics
- Continue to support COVID testing
- Continue to support vaccine efforts
- Review on-site infection control rules and increase the standards
- Review emergency preparedness rules to improve readiness
Proposed for CMS
- Create a new database of building owners and operators
- Make Nursing Home Compare easier to understand
- Examine the role of REITS and private equity
- Make nurse aide training cheaper
- Support state training programs
- Work with Dept. of Labor to launch a national campaign for recruiting, training, retaining, and transitioning workers to long-term care.
- Add $500 million for survey inspections
- Change Special Focus Facility Program
- Increase civil fines (CMP) to $1million
- Consider CMPs on a per diem basis
- Congress to develop standards for chain owner participation in Medicare/Medicaid
- Congress to give CMS more authority to validate data and enforce incorrect reporting
AHCA/NCAL Plan of Response
- Determine what AHCA/NCAL can support
- Determine which proposalsAHCA/NCAL might make more acceptable
- Try to kill proposals AHCA/NCAL can’t modify or support
- Question Minimum Staffing Study
- Where can nursing homes find the workers?
- What’s their implementation timeline?
- What are the penalties for non-compliance?
As you may have seen this week, the AHCA/NCAL action plan is already underway. AHCA/NCAL contacted the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to outline their position and request a meeting.