East Sales Director, Joe Brown, sat on the "Problem Solving Innovations, Enhancing the Senior Living Industry" panel at HealthTAC West 2022. Central Sales Director, Scott Kozimor, also attended, as senior living operators talked candidly about the industry's current state.
Here's some advice from senior living operators on the topic of operational innovation:
- Continuously monitor your empirical data to support needed change.
- Consider 'firing yourself' and hiring a tech leader or partner.
- Innovate in a moving-forward, clearly defined way – no more 'throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.'
- Champion and participate in whatever innovation you choose to assure success.
Also discussed was how to make new operational innovation successful:
- Build upon a strong technology foundation (i.e., best fiber, network, etc.)
- Make sure it fits within your culture; engage key players to weigh in (i.e., Can we bring it together? Can we sustain it?)
- Train your teams and staff well; measure profitability.
- Don't get passed by in the market because you overthink it.
A key concern brought up as an obstacle to innovation success was staff burnout. But senior living leaders responded positively, suggesting ways to re-energize and realign staffing:
- Don't be afraid to try new ideas.
- Consider replacing agency roles with inside staff.
- Monitor and stabilize staffing trends (days, hours, etc.) to keep staff coming back.
- Deploy applicant tracking technology.
- Preserve internal knowledgebase – allow staff to go part-time or project-based.
- Engage and involve Millennial staff.
As always, our participation in this networking event gave us perspective on how we can help this industry innovate for success. Did you know we offered:
- primeCLOUD – secure hosting, plus a line into best-of-breed technologies at partner-negotiated pricing.
- primeVIEW – dashboard app for easily tracking staffing trends, plus other key operational trends (e.g., census, admissions/discharges, billing/receiving, etc).
Get in touch if we can become a partner in your path to operational innovation.