Don't have time to review CMS' 158-page Toolkit on State Actions to Mitigate COVID-19 Prevalence in Nursing Homes? No problem, we've done it for you. This week, we're covering best-of-best practices from various states related to Cohorting, Housing, and Sheltering.
COVID-19 Intermediary Care - CT, MS, NM
A few states have taken action to relieve nursing homes of the post-acute demands of recovering COVID patients.
- Athena Health Care Systems in Connecticut operates four for patients still impacted, but no longer acute -- taking the pressure off of nursing homes to accept them.
- Similarly, medical shelters are available statewide in New Mexico for medical monitoring and self-isolation of COVID-19 positive individuals.
- Likewise, the Mississippi Department of Health arranges COVID-19 convalescence in between hospital and nursing home care.
Transportation is also covered in this toolkit. The overarching best practice there is to allocate special vehicles for transporting COVID-19 patients to/from hospitals or intermediary centers.
Healthcare Worker Housing - NE, PA
Other states have opted to focus on healthcare workers, as the COVID-19 battle continues.
- The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services is offering temporary housing tp health care workers, emergency medical services, and law enforcement personnel who are concerned about exposing loved ones in their own homes.
- Likewise, the Pennsylvania Health Care Association is offering hotel rooms to staff needing distancing due to possible exposure.
Transportation is also covered in this toolkit. The main take-away there is to possibly allocate special vehicles to COVID-19 patients being transported to/from hospitals or intermediary centers.
At-A-Glance Infographics from Other Sections
While there were just two big take-aways from the Cohorting, Housing, and Sheltering, other sections were full of great ideas. In case you missed them, here are the At-A-Glance Infographics for your convenience:
- Best Practices for Infection Control
- Best Practices for Communications and Visitors
- Best Practices in Workforce and Staffing